In the current era, we all can see one thing clearly that the video content has become the king of all content formats. With the rise of social media and streaming platforms, the demand for video content has skyrocketed, and so has the need for skilled video editors. Video editing has become an essential part of any video production process, and it’s not just limited to Hollywood studios anymore. From small businesses to content creators, everyone needs a video editor to create high-quality videos for their audience. In this article, we will discuss the importance and need for video editors in the current era, the benefits of pursuing a career in video editing, and the top programs used in video editing.
Why the need for video editors in the current era?
The world is moving towards video content, and that has made video editing a crucial part of the content creation process. As mentioned earlier, video content has become the most popular form of content in recent years. As per the reports by Cisco, video content will the foremost choice for almost 80% of all users on internet and they will get the most traffic in the coming years. With such a high demand for video content, it’s no surprise that the need for skilled video editors is also on the rise.
Who are video editors mainly?
Video editors are skilled persons who know how to take raw footage and turn it into a well engaging story for the audience. They work under post production stage with film makers and guarantee to meet their needs and present the right the story to the audience. A video editor’s job is not just limited to cutting and splicing footage; they also need to have a good eye for detail, a sense of rhythm, and an understanding of storytelling.
With the rise of social media platforms, brands and individuals are now creating more video content than ever before as videos are now the best way to present their identity to the targeted audience. They are using video content to reach a wider audience, showcase their products, or promote their services. Video editing is a critical aspect of this process, as it can help brands create more engaging content that stands out from the crowd.
Why go for video editor job profiles?
There are several benefits of pursuing a career in video editing.
Firstly, the demand for skilled video editors is on the rise, and this trend is expected to continue in the future. This means that there will always be job opportunities available for video editors.
Secondly, video editing is a creative field, and it allows you to use your creativity to bring stories to life. As a video editor, you have the opportunity to work on a wide range of projects, from short films to documentaries, commercials, and music videos.
Thirdly, video editing is a flexible career. You can work as a freelance video editor or work for a company that specializes in video production. This means that you have the flexibility to choose your projects and work on your own schedule.
Fourthly, video editing is a well-paying career. As per the data shown by Glassdoor, an avaerage video editor in the United States is making approx $50,000 annually. However, the salary can vary depending on your level of experience, location, and the type of projects you work on.
Career scope in video editing:
Video editing is a dynamic and ever-evolving field, and there are several career paths that you can take as a video editor. Some of the career paths in video editing include:
- Film and Television Editing: Film and television editing is the most common career path for video editors. As a film and television editor, you will work on movies, TV shows, and other visual media.
- Commercial Editing: Commercial editing involves creating videos for advertising purposes. This includes commercials, social media ads, and promotional videos.
- Music Video Editing: Music video editing involves creating music videos for artists. This is a highly creative field that allows you to work with musicians and directors to create visually stunning videos.
- Corporate Video Editing: Corporate video editing involves creating videos for businesses. This includes promotional videos, training videos, and explainer videos.
How successful is working in the video industry?
There are two sides of the video industry: it is highly competitive and lucrative too on the other side. The average salary for a video editor in the United States is around $50,000 per year, but this can vary depending on the industry, location, and experience level.
Working in the video industry can be challenging, but it comes with lot of rewarding opportunities. Not only this, video editors have variety of projects to work on and this is what makes their profile unique from other. From featured movie, to web series to short films, they handle all kind of projects. They also get to work with a diverse range of clients, from advertising agencies to production companies, which can be an excellent opportunity to network and build relationships within the industry.
Successful Careers in the Video Industry
The video industry is highly competitive, but there are several successful video editors who have made a name for themselves in the industry. Some of the successful international video editors include:
- Thelma Schoonmaker – Thelma is known for her collaboration with Martin Scorsese, editing his films like “Raging Bull,” “The Departed,” and “The Wolf of Wall Street.” She has won three Academy Awards for Best Film Editing, and her contributions have been crucial to many of Scorsese’s iconic films.
- Walter Murch – Walter Murch is a renowned editor and sound designer, known for his work on films such as “Apocalypse Now,” “The Godfather,” and “The English Patient.” For his editing in “The English Patient”, he was awarded with the Academy Awards in the category of Best Film Editing.
- Sally Menke – Sally Menke worked closely with Quentin Tarantino and edited his first five films, including “Pulp Fiction,” “Kill Bill,” and “Inglourious Basterds.” She was known for her ability to maintain the rhythm and pacing of Tarantino’s unique style, which helped to shape his career.
- Dede Allen – Dede Allen was a trailblazer in the industry, known for her work on films like “Bonnie and Clyde” and “Dog Day Afternoon.” She was known for her unconventional style and was one of the first editors to use jump cuts and non-linear storytelling.
- Michael Kahn – Michael Kahn has collaborated with Steven Spielberg for over 40 years, editing his films like “Jaws,” “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” and “Saving Private Ryan.” He has been nominated for an Academy Award eight times and has won three, including Best Film Editing for “Schindler’s List.”
- Anne V. Coates – Anne V. Coates was a pioneer in the industry, known for her work on films like “Lawrence of Arabia” and “The Elephant Man.” She won an Academy Award for Best Film Editing for “Lawrence of Arabia” and was nominated for four other films.
- Lee Smith – Lee Smith is a modern video editor known for his work on films like “Dunkirk,” “Inception,” and “The Dark Knight.” Lee got Best Film Editing Academy Awards for his work in Dunkirk.”
These are just a few examples of successful video editors who have made significant contributions to the film industry. Their skills, creativity, and dedication have helped to shape the way we tell stories through film, and their legacies continue to inspire new generations of editors.
Top popular programs in video editing:
There are several video editing programs available in the market, but some of the most popular ones are:
- Adobe Premiere Pro: Adobe Premiere Pro is one of the most popular video editing programs used by professionals. It is a comprehensive editing software that offers a range of features, including video effects, color grading, and audio mixing. Don’t get confused in covering up the unmatched concepts of Premiere. Join Premiere Pro course in Rohini and take your basic editing knowledge to the next level.
- Final Cut Pro X: Final Cut Pro X is a video editing software developed by Apple and one of the best to learn for professional video editing. Its interface is butter smoothly and you don’t need to worry about managing folders for footages in it. FCPX’s library system handles everything for you. Apple FCP is capable of doing all sort of video editing that you want to do. So going for Final Cut Pro training in Rohini is highly recommended for you without any doubt.
In conclusion of all the points we discussed today, it’s clear that there is a huge need for video editors in the current era of digital devices, platforms and content. Many opportunities are there to grab for you ahead. Stick with the right training by joining video editing courses at Video Editing Institute in Delhi and follow the path of success.